For makeup beginners, mastering the art of applying lipstick can be a game-changer in enhancing your overall look.
Whether you’re aiming for a natural, everyday vibe or a bold, statement lip, understanding the basics of lipstick application is crucial.
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll walk you through the process of applying lipstick like a pro, ensuring a smooth and polished finish every time.
How to Apply Lipstick for Beginners
Check out the step-by-step guide to complete the process flow on how to apply lipstick if you’re a beginner.
Step 1: Gather Your Tools and Products
Before you start applying lipstick, make sure you have the following essentials:
- Lip balm or primer
- Lip liner
- Lipstick of your choice
- Tissue or blotting paper
Step 2: Begin with a Smooth Canvas
Start by prepping your lips to create a smooth canvas for your lipstick. Apply a thin layer of lip balm or primer to hydrate and nourish your lips.
This step helps prevent your lipstick from settling into fine lines and ensures comfortable wear.
Step 3: Choose the Right Lip Liner
Select a lip liner that matches your lipstick shade or is a shade slightly darker. Lip liner not only defines your lips but also prevents the lipstick from feathering or bleeding.
Begin by outlining the natural shape of your lips.
Step 4: Fill in Your Lips with Lip Liner
After outlining your lips, gently fill them in with the lip liner. This creates a base for your lipstick, helping it adhere better and prolonging its wear.
Filling in your lips with liner also provides a backup color as your lipstick fades throughout the day.
Step 5: Apply Lipstick from the Center Outwards
Now, it’s time for the star of the show – your lipstick. Start by applying the lipstick at the center of your lips and work your way outward.
Follow the natural curve of your lips, staying within the lines you created with the lip liner.
Step 6: Use a Lip Brush for Precision
For added precision, especially with bold or darker shades, use a lip brush to apply your lipstick.
A lip brush allows you to control the application, ensuring an even and defined look. Use short strokes for better control.
Step 7: Blot and Layer
After your initial lipstick application, blot your lips with a tissue to remove any excess product. This helps set the color and prevents smudging.
If you desire a more intense look, reapply another layer of lipstick, focusing on areas that may need additional coverage.
For a polished finish, clean up the edges of your lips with a concealer or foundation.
Use a small, precise brush to correct any mistakes or uneven lines, creating a crisp and well-defined lip shape.
Step 9: Optional: Add a Touch of Gloss
If you want to add some shine to your lipstick, consider applying a clear lip gloss or a gloss in a complementary shade. Focus the gloss on the center of your lips for a plump and dimensional effect.
Step 10: Seal the Deal by Setting Spray
To ensure the longevity of your lipstick, consider sealing the deal with a setting spray. This step helps set the makeup and prevents your lipstick from smudging or fading throughout the day.
Best lipstick shades for beginners
Choosing the right lipstick shades as a beginner can be exciting and a bit overwhelming with the multitude of options available.
Here are some universally flattering and beginner-friendly lipstick shades that work well for various occasions and suit a range of skin tones:
1. Nude Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Nude shades are versatile and complement any look, making them perfect for everyday wear.
- Recommended shades: Soft peach, rosy beige, or a warm nude that closely matches your natural lip color.
2. Rose Pink Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Rose pink is a subtle and universally flattering shade that adds a touch of color without being too bold.
- Recommended shades: Soft rose, dusty pink, or mauve tones.
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Coral shades bring a fresh and lively vibe, suitable for both casual and more polished looks.
- Recommended shades: Peachy coral, soft apricot, or muted coral for a natural pop of color.
4. Berry Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Berry shades offer a hint of drama without being overly intense, making them suitable for various occasions.
- Recommended shades: Raspberry, plum, or sheer berry for a subtle statement.
5. Classic Red Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: A classic red lip is timeless and can instantly elevate your look, adding a touch of sophistication.
- Recommended shades: True red, with neutral undertones that suit your skin tone.
6. Mauve Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Mauve is a sophisticated and easy-to-wear shade that works well for both day and night.
- Recommended shades: Muted mauve, dusty rose, or a soft berry-toned mauve.
7. Peach Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Peach shades bring warmth to your complexion, creating a fresh and youthful appearance.
- Recommended shades: Light peach, apricot, or a peachy-pink hue.
8. Caramel Brown Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Brown tones are subtle and work well for a neutral, everyday look.
- Recommended shades: Caramel brown, warm taupe, or a light chocolate shade.
9. Rosy Brown Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Rosy brown shades provide a neutral and flattering option for various skin tones.
- Recommended shades: Soft rosy brown, dusty rose-brown, or a neutral mauve-brown.
10. Sheer Lipstick:
- Why it’s beginner-friendly: Sheer lipsticks offer a subtle wash of color, making them forgiving for beginners still mastering application.
- Recommended shades: Sheer versions of nude, pink, or coral shades for a natural and effortless look.
Tips for Choosing Lipstick Shades:
- Consider your undertones: Choose shades that complement your skin’s undertones—cool-toned lipsticks for cool undertones and warm-toned lipsticks for warm undertones.
- Experiment with finishes: Matte, satin, and glossy finishes can impact the overall look. Experiment to find the finish you’re most comfortable with.
- Sample before purchasing: Test shades on your wrist or at the makeup counter to see how they look against your skin before making a purchase.
Remember, the key is to have fun exploring different shades and finding what makes you feel confident and comfortable.
As you gain more experience, you can venture into bolder colors and experiment with different finishes to express your unique style.
Conclusion on Flaunt Your Perfect Pout
With these simple steps, you can confidently apply lipstick like a pro, creating a flawless and long-lasting finish.
Whether you’re a makeup novice or experimenting with bold lip colors, practice makes perfect. Embrace the world of lipsticks, play with different shades, and find the perfect lip look that complements your style and personality.
With a bit of practice, you’ll be flaunting a perfect pout in no time!
Thank You 🙂